how to get help in windows 10 media player 12 with Getting Started Windows Media Player
You can use Windows Media Player 12 to play digital media files, organize your digital media collection, burn (create) CDs of your favorite music, rip (copy) music from CDs, and sync media files to a portable device.
Open Windows Media Player 12
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
(If you’re using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)
- Enter Windows Media Player in the search box, and then tap or click Windows Media Player 12.
Three Ways to Play Windows 10 Media Player 12
- Player Library. You can see and organize your digital media collection using the Player Library. On the left, you can choose a category, such as Music, Pictures, or Videos, to view in the details pane. For example, to see all of your music organized by genre, double-tap or double-click Music, and then tap or click Genre. You can drag items from the details pane to the list pane on the right to create playlists, burn CDs or DVDs, or sync to devices, such as portable music players. As you move between views in the Player Library, you can use the Back and Forward buttons in the upper-left corner of the Player to retrace your steps.
- Now Playing mode. In Now Playing mode, you can view DVDs and videos or see what music is currently playing. You can decide to view only the currently playing item, or you can swipe or right-click the Player, and then click Show list to view available items.
- From the taskbar. You can also use the Player when it’s minimized. You can play or pause the current item, advance to the next item, and go back to the previous item using the controls in the thumbnail preview. The thumbnail preview appears when you press and hold or point to the Windows Media Player icon on the taskbar.
You can switch between the Player Library and Now Playing mode by tapping or clicking the Switch to Now Playing button in the lower-right corner of the Player. To return to the Player Library, tap or click the Switch to Library button in the upper-right corner of the Player.
Rip CDs to create digital music files
You can add music to the Player Library by using your PC’s CD drive to copy CDs and store them on your PC as digital files. This is known as ripping.
Use tabs to complete key tasks
The tabs at the top right of the Player open the list pane in the Player Library so you can create playlists of your favorite songs, burn custom song lists to a CD, or sync playlists to a portable media player.
To get started, tap or click a tab:
- Play. This list shows the item currently playing and the items you’ve selected to play in the Player Library. For example, if you selected a specific album to play, the entire album will appear in the Play tab. You can use the Play tab to create and save custom playlists.
- Burn. You can drag items from the Details pane to this list and burn audio CDs and data CDs and DVDs.
- Sync. You can use the Player to sync music, videos, and pictures to a wide range of portable devices, including portable media players, storage cards, and some phones. Connect a supported device to your PC and the Player will select the sync method (automatic or manual) that’s best for your device.