Connecting to a VPN (Virtual Private Network) on your Windows 10 PC can help provide a more secure connection to your company’s network and all Internet place. But before you can connect to a VPN on Windows 10, you must have a VPN profile on your PC. Yes, you can either create a VPN profile on your own or set up a work account to get a VPN profile from your company.
How to Create a VPN Profile on Windows 10
- If it’s for work, look for VPN settings or a VPN app on your company’s intranet site while you’re at work, or contact your company’s support person.
- If it’s for a VPN service you subscribe to for personal use, visit the Microsoft Store to see if there’s an app for that service, then go to the VPN service’s website to see if the VPN connection settings to use are listed there.
- Select the Start button > Settings > Network & Internet > VPN > Add a VPN connection.
- In Add a VPN connection, do the following:
- For VPN provider, choose Windows (built-in). In the Connection name box, type a friendly name (for example, My Personal VPN) for the VPN connection profile. This is the VPN connection name to look for when you try to connect In the Server name or address box. Type the address for the VPN server.
- For VPN type, choose the type of VPN connection you want to create. You’ll need to know which kind of VPN connection your company or VPN service uses.
- For Type of sign-in info, choose the type of sign-in info (or credentials) to use. This might be a user name and password, one-time password, certificate, or a smart card if you’re connecting to a VPN for work. Type your user name and password in the respective boxes (optional).
- If you need to edit the VPN connection info or specify additional settings, such as the proxy settings to use for the VPN connection > choose the VPN connection > select Advanced options.
How to Connect to a VPN on Windows 10
- On the far right of the taskbar, select the Network icon.
- Select the VPN connection you want to use, then do either of the following depending on what happens when you select the VPN connection:
- If the Connect button displays under the VPN connection, select Connect.
- If VPN in Settings opens, select the VPN connection there, then select Connect.
- If you’re prompted, type your user name and password or other sign-in info.
When connected, the VPN connection name will display Connected underneath it.